Wednesday, September 2, 2009

And in the end...

Wow. It’s exactly one month to the day that I first arrived in Poland. All I can really think is What The Hell Happened?

I came here simply to do research on my book. But now, I find myself dealing with another completely different project: my entire life.

I came here married. I came here thinking I knew who I was, where I came from, and where I was going. I came here to finish something.

Now, I am divorced. I have no idea who I really am. I am only now beginning to understand where I came from. I have no clue where I’m going, really. And I feel like I’m just now embarking on a real journey.

I look back at the last month and it is a blur. A whirlwind of tears, stomachaches, heartache, hot days in downtown, rainy days on trains, realizations about the past, future, and present, intense fear, intense love, intense excitement. It is like the world has completely changed and now I must figure out how I got here and how I can get home – wherever that is.

I’ve never really been sure where my home was. For a long time it was in Los Angeles with my family. Then it was in Akron with my family. Then, when my family fell apart, it was in Akron with Patrick, which was always sort of precarious. Now, I am in Poland, and I feel sort of homeless. And it hurts and it makes me want to cry, but it is also an incredible opportunity to create a real home within my own heart. I know that sounds cheesy – but it’s all I can think to make this situation worthwhile and revitalizing. I must come to embrace that my real home is always with me and always in me. It is with me where ever I go, I guess. I just need to start making that home as sturdy as possible. I need to fill it with all the comforts and love that give me tranquility and peace. So that is my new job, really. Building my heart into a real home, where I can take refugee and settle my mind.

I think that’s what I learned from this trip. Seeing all the places my grandmother was displaced from – her apartment on Zlota, her temporary residence on Nowy Swiat, her apartment in the Ghetto, her apartment in Rozbrat, the camps, Vienna. Chile. Los Angeles.

I remember my grandmother once telling me that she used to cry and cry and cry to her mother asking: “Why can’t I just be a normal person with a normal life?” And her mother would say: “Because you’ve been in a war, Krishu! You can never be normal. You will always be a displaced person.”

I feel like that too right now. A displaced person. But I know, from watching my grandmother, that I can build a good sturdy home and be happy through my own devices. That is what she has taught me. That is what her history here has taught me. And so that is what I will set out to do. It is a scary prospect, but I have faith.

I sort of see my heart’s house like the last standing Warsaw Ghetto buildings on Prozna Street. I was just there on Sunday for an art exhibit that coincided with the Singer Festival – the Annual Warsaw Jewish festival that is being held now until September 6.

There, on Prozna Street, stand a series of buildings that look very much like the tenement buildings you see in photos from New York in the early-20th century. They are sloppy, narrow brick structures that seem to go on for miles into the sky, threatening to topple over at any second. The Ghetto buildings have remained completely untouched – entirely unrehabbed – and are only used for exhibits during the festival. Inside, the paint is peeling off the ceiling in big, flat chunks, while the floor is covered with dust and debris. They are incredible, incredible relics and it is amazing that Warsaw has done nothing with them.

For the festival, a number of contemporary artists installed their work throughout the wreckage of the buildings. Photographs lined cracked cement walls. Small rooms were filled with smoke and video art. One artist even used the dust from the building to create his piece, while another hung neon signs on the brick exterior.

As I walked through the buildings, up and down circular staircases, in and out of tiled bathrooms and through creaky doors, I thought that this is what grandma’s heart must look like. And maybe, mine, too. A shabby old building, cluttered with beautiful, expressive things that don’t try to hide the decay – but elaborate on it. Build on it. Embrace it.

My original plan was to stay in Poland until September 19. But of course, life is what happens when you are making plans…sorry for the cliché, but it’s so true right now. Still, I was determined to stay, to prove to myself and everyone else that I could stick this out and make it to the end. But, another thing I’ve also learned recently is that I don’t have to prove anything to anyone anymore. And I feel as though I’ve gained more than enough from this experience to head home in a week, sort out the details, and then make my move to California, where I will be close to my mother and grandmother and can finally finish this book. Los Angeles seems like a good place to start over. At least, that is what my grandmother has always said. “You come to California and never look back,” she says.

I must say that I’m terrified of the future. But I also realize that before I came here, I didn’t really have a better idea on how things were all going to work out – I just deluded myself into thinking that I did. I guess I should find relief that I’m now living in the truth: that I can’t predict the future. And never could.

It’s funny. There are a lot of clichés slapping me in the face right now from: “Life’s Not Fair” to “You have to lose something to gain something else.” Life’s not fair: I think I’ve addressed that already. But only recently have I come to the point of accepting that I had to lose something to gain something else.

Since Patrick and I started the painful process of separating, my parents have been here for me in such an incredible way. Though my relationship with my father was strained for some time, he is now calling me almost every day. Reminding me of how good I am. Of how I didn’t fail. Of how great things will be. And how much he loves me. My mother says the same and our time together here will be something I will cherish forever. And so, it’s funny, because, in losing Patrick as my husband, I am beginning to realize that my family never left me – they just changed, as so many things do. I am not alone. I do, still, have unconditional love. And it is so, so nice to be reminded of that. I am a truly lucky, lucky girl.

And as for Patrick and I…well…I think we have done a lot of growing and realizing and accepting this past month. It’s so ironic that we struggled for over seven years to get on the same page and only now, as we part ways, we finally find ourselves there. I’m willing to bet that this is one of the kindest, most civil break-ups in the history of marriage, which is funny, considering how turbulent our relationship was. We were the kind of people that fueled each other’s fires rather than quelled each other’s minds. Still, it makes me terribly sad, because I wanted our life together to work out more than anything. But I am slowly accepting the truth that it wouldn’t and that we both deserve to be happy and together, that just wasn’t going to be possible. So now we will try it out on our own. And that is both scary and exciting. I have no idea how to live without him. Since I was 19, that is all I have known. “Denise and Pat.” Forever. Now…who knows. All I know is that there is no forever. And I guess that is ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment